Lessons from Puppy Dogs
I heard this story a few years ago and I felt compelled to share it here. Once when some adults were discussing and wondering why dogs have shorter lives than people, a six-year old boy, who had been listening quietly, piped up, ”I know why.” Startled, they all turned to him. What came out of his mouth next stunned them.
He said,‘ People are born so that they can learn how to live a good life — like loving everybody all the time and being nice, right?” The young boy continued,‘ Well, dogs already know how to do that, so they don’t have to stay as long.” They had never heard a more compelling explanation and it had made a lasting impression on them.
People take years to learn to: Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.
We can learn from how dogs live their lives. My puppy dog, Sasha, has taught me some very significant lessons such as:
- When loved ones come home, always run to greet them. (Sasha does a great job of not only wagging her tail, but her whole body!)
- Never pass up the opportunity to go for a joyride. (I can whisper the word, “car-ride” and Sasha will here me from the other end of the house.)
- Allow the experience of fresh air and the wind in your face to be pure Ecstasy. (You can see it on Sasha’s face.)
- Take naps. (Sasha never misses an opportunity to nap.)
- Stretch before rising. (I love the way Sasha stretches her body.)
- Run, romp, and play daily. (I think Sasha is part bunny rabbit at times and part deer at other times the way she hops along and runs around in the yard.)
- Thrive on attention and let people touch you. (Sasha is a glutton for attention; and, if she doesn’t get it right away, she will nuzzle you until you pet her.)
- Avoid biting when a simple growl will do. (Sasha is a great pretender especially when she has a toy in her mouth and you tug with her.)
- On warm days, stop to lie on your back on the grass. (Sasha is adorable the way she lies on her back and rolls in the grass.)
- On hot days, drink lots of water and lie under a shady tree. (Sasha can go through a couple of gallons of water; she especially loves it with ice cubes floating in it.)
- When you’re happy, dance around and wag your entire body. (Oh, yes she does!)
- Delight in the simple joy of a long walk. (She prances.)
- Be loyal. (She is my shadow.)
- Never pretend to be something you’re not. (How can she be anyone but Sasha!)
- If what you want lies buried, dig until you find it. (Sasha never gives up until she gets it!)
- When someone is having a bad day, be silent, sit close by, and nuzzle them gently. (She is totally empathetic.)
ENJOY EVERY MOMENT OF EVERY DAY!
- Bath Day (akissofbliss.wordpress.com)
- Happiness is a warm puppy (xuelihuang.wordpress.com)
- Nature Notices (akissofbliss.wordpress.com)
- A Walk in the Woods (akissofbliss.wordpress.com)