Think Globally, Act Locally
One of the most wasteful times of the year occurs in December. Why do I say that? Simple. Increased local traffic to stores. More consumerism. PACKAGING and WRAPPING! There is more baking, cooking, visiting, etc.
Let us consider clever ways to reduce the amount of waste we generate. One of the most simple things we can consider is how we wrap our gifts to each other. One of my favorite things to do is use simple canvas bags as gift bags set with a colorful and festive fabric bow, both of which can be reused. Look about your home and see what you can creatively use to wrap your gifts this year. Maybe you have some fabric you can use. How about using newspaper and collage it with colorful magazine pictures?
Maybe you can forgo material gifts. Perhaps you can give a gift of love and time instead by visiting and engaging in heartfelt conversations where your attention is undivided (yes, turn off that electronic device for an hour or so). Here is another wonderful possibility…share a skill with others by teaching them how to do something you are good at doing, such as: gardening, baking, crocheting, wood-working, scrap-booking, bird-watching, fishing, paper-crafting and so on and so forth.
Other ideas: Dovetail errands so you are using less gasoline; create more gifts instead of buying them from materials you already have at home; send e-cards via e-mail instead of sending paper cards through the mail; have a holiday gathering around a charity event or while being of service to the poor and the needy; etc.
What are some other things we could do to cut waste during this holiday season? The list is endless and the possibilities countless if you just put for five to ten minutes of thought into it. I came up with quite a few in the ten minutes I spent writing this article. Most of all, have fun with the ideas. The holidays of December are meant to be experienced with love, joy and reverence. Don’t stress. Merry Christmas! (Ten days away and counting down.)
- December 14: The Gift of Sacrifice (loristillman.wordpress.com)
- December 13: The Gift of Less Stress (loristillman.wordpress.com)
- Slowing Down the Holidays (freshrivervalley.com)
- The Gift of Giving – The Fourth Holiday Mental Moment (runningnakedwithscissors.com)
- Tuesday Tutorials – Reusable Gift Wrap Ideas (homegrownjoy.wordpress.com)
- Vintage Christmas Gift Tags (theatticbirds.wordpress.com)
- Going green, local and sustainable this holiday season (freshrivervalley.com)
- Eco Friendly Options for Gift Wrapping (naturemoms.com)
- diy: fun & easy gift wrap. (halfasleepstudio.com)
- 6 Eco-Friendly Gift Wrap Alternatives (inhabitat.com)