I spent my morning at the dentist, which went very well. And, I am very grateful. Today is also a special day. It is the first day of winter here in the Northern Hemisphere and the first day of summer for our brothers and sisters in the Southern Hemisphere. Today is also Yule or Yuletide, which is a festival of renewal and light. Yule has traditionally been celebrated for millenia in the Northern Hemisphere by the Norse people. It has been a time for feasting, merrymaking and sacrifice. The Celts, the Romans, the Greeks and the Egyptians also had similar festivities in and around wintertime.
Customs such as the Yule log, the decorated tree, wreaths of holly and evergreens, wassailing (caroling), mistletoe, gift-giving, using the colors: red, green, white, gold and silver, cookies, cakes, fruits, nuts, cider, eggnog, turkey, pork (ham), feasting, and honoring a god (of agriculture) came from Yuletide and related celebrations. The Catholic church later sanctified these traditions and incorporated them into Christian traditions to win over non-Christians (with the Christmas celebration December 25). I find the overlap of the symbolism of the return of the light (and the Sun) and the return of Christ (the Son of God) to be remarkable. Yule is truly a wonderful celebration filled with rituals of renewal and joy for the return of longer days. You can learn more of Yule at:
I feel it is important to understand and appreciate the customs and traditions of others. In this way we can truly bring back the light and be love for one another. Wishing you and yours a Joyous Winter Solstice and Yule Blessings and Peace; good-bye to darkness and hello to a very Merry Christmas.
- Yule Blessings and Peace (spiritproject.wordpress.com)
- Celebrating Yule (naturalpantheist.wordpress.com)
- Celebrating Yule (romancingthebee.com)
- A Poem for Yule (witchesofthecraft.com)
- Welcome Yule! (beckyinvt.wordpress.com)
- MYTHICAL CALENDAR : DECEMBER 21 : Winter Solstice, Yule, Mistletoe & More! (chscarlett.wordpress.com)
- Yule – Winter Solstice (witchesofthecraft.com)
- Midwinter Night’s Eve: Yule by Mike Nichols (witchesofthecraft.com)
- Troll the Ancient Yuletide Carol (hokku.wordpress.com)