As the temperatures drop we start thinking about staying warm, cozy and comfortable. Some foods lend themselves to warming and nourishing our bodies. Some are better than others. Soups are great comfort food and below I have included our family’s recipe for a healthy version of Butternut Squash Soup that can be easily made in a slow-cooker.
Comfort food for the heart and soul come from the warmth we give to each other through love and kindness. Next Monday, Thanksgiving is celebrated in Canada. This is a great time to really contemplate everything for which we are grateful. Between now and the New Year there are many religious and secular holidays that have us give pause and reflect upon love, gratitude, charity and other positive attitudes.
As we start filling our bodies with warm foods and beverages, let us take time to reflect and send for positive thoughts to those who are without. My family delights in saying blessings before every meal, a prayer of thanksgiving and compassion for those who need comfort and love. Let the warmth of the foods and drinks that nourish our bodies remind us how blessed we are, filling our hearts and spirits.
BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP
This the perfect comfort food to nourish your body. No unhealthy calories in this recipe. You will need a crock pot/slow cooker.
One medium to large butter nut squash.
3 to 4 Chicken/Vegetable Bouillon Cubes
4 to 6 cups of Water
Salt and Pepper to taste
The prep work is what takes the most energy in this…you need to peel the butternut squash; a good, sharp potato peeler works well; and chunk up the butternut squash. Do not use the seeds.
Place the chunks of butternut squash and water in the crock pot. Cook on HIGH for 3 to 4 hours; OR on LOW for 6 hours. Add bouillon cubes, salt and pepper anytime after the water heats up to a boil. As you get near to the end of the cooking time (after 3 hours or so), mash the squash or use a hand-held mixer. If you like thick soup, use less water; if you like soups thinner add more water. You can add a sweetener of your choice if you like things on the sweet side.
Variation: add carrots, sweet Vidalia onions, or any of your favorite vegetables.
For any of you who are following Weight Watchers…this has 0 plus points per 1 cup serving.
- Healthy Cookie: Butternut Squash & Corn Bisque (thesmartcookiecook.com)
- Creamy Butternut Squash Soup (m0monamission.wordpress.com)
- My version of Butternut Squash Soup (badashcrafts.com)
- Smokey, Spicy Butternut Squash Soup with Almonds (donachyblog.wordpress.com)
- Curry Butternut Squash Soup (smartinrealty.com)
- Fall Recipes: Butternut Squash, Apple and Sage Soup (pinecountryfeed.wordpress.com)
- Experimenting in the kitchen: What’s in season now and how to use it (thegreatexperimenters.com)
- Caramelized Onion & Butternut Squash Lasagna Pie (thesmartcookiecook.com)
- Butternut Squash Turkey Chili (yesiwantcake.com)
- Roasted Butternut Squash Soup (acedarspoon.com)